Swan General (“Swan”) began operations in 1955, following the merger of The Mauritius Fire Insurance Company Limited (established in 1854) and The Colonial Fire Insurance Company Limited (established in 1871).
The company listed on the SEM in 1990. Currently, 75.4% of shares are held by three conglomerates. 24.6% of shares are in free float. The remaining 75.4% are indirectly held by three large conglomerates, which are all individually listed on the SEM, and have diversified business interests relating to resources, logistics, investments and services.
Swan General has twelve subsidiaries, notably Swan Life Limited (“Swan Life”), Swan Special Risks Company Limited, Swan General Insurance Company Zambia and Swan Reinsurance PCC. Swan Life is the core subsidiary of Swan General, contributing about 59.5% and 89.7% to group revenue and total assets, respectively.
The analytical approach has remained the same from prior years. As Swan General Limited is operationally critical to the wider group, the analytical approach is a group approach: that is an analysis on Swan General Limited and its subsidiaries (including Swan Life), referred to as (“the group” or “Swan Group”).
CREDIT RATINGS ISSUED AND RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS PUBLISHED BY GCR, ARE GCRâ€™S OPINIONS, AS AT THE DATE OF ISSUE OR PUBLICATION THEREOF, OF THE RELATIVE FUTURE CREDIT RISK OF ENTITIES, CREDIT COMMITMENTS, OR DEBT OR DEBT-LIKE SECURITIES. GCR DEFINES CREDIT RISK AS THE RISK THAT AN ENTITY MAY NOT MEET ITS CONTRACTUAL AND/OR FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS AS THEY BECOME DUE. CREDIT RATINGS DO NOT ADDRESS ANY OTHER RISK, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FRAUD, MARKET LIQUIDITY RISK, MARKET VALUE RISK, OR PRICE VOLATILITY. CREDIT RATINGS AND GCRâ€™S OPINIONS INCLUDED IN GCRâ€™S PUBLICATIONS ARE NOT STATEMENTS OF CURRENT OR HISTORICAL FACT. CREDIT RATINGS AND GCRâ€™S PUBLICATIONS DO NOT CONSTITUTE OR PROVIDE INVESTMENT OR FINANCIAL ADVICE, AND CREDIT RATINGS AND GCRâ€™S PUBLICATIONS ARE NOT AND DO NOT PROVIDE RECOMMENDATIONS TO PURCHASE, SELL OR HOLD PARTICULAR SECURITIES. NEITHER GCRâ€™S CREDIT RATINGS, NOR ITS PUBLICATIONS, COMMENT ON THE SUITABILITY OF AN INVESTMENT FOR ANY PARTICULAR INVESTOR. GCR ISSUES ITS CREDIT RATINGS AND PUBLISHES GCRâ€™S PUBLICATIONS WITH THE EXPECTATION AND UNDERSTANDING THAT EACH INVESTOR WILL MAKE ITS OWN STUDY AND EVALUATION OF EACH SECURITY THAT IS UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR PURCHASE, HOLDING OR SALE.
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are normally set in response to actions made by you, amounting to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging-in or completing forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but please note that parts of the website may no longer function correctly. Note: These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors navigate the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies, the site will not be performance optimised for your use.