Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate social responsibility can be defined as the “economic, legal, ethical, and discretionary expectations that society has of organizations at a given point in time” (Carroll and Buchholtz 2003, p. 36). The concept of corporate social responsibility means that organizations have moral, ethical, and philanthropic responsibilities in addition to their responsibilities to earn a fair return for investors and comply with the law.
To expand GCR’s involvement with regards to corporate and social responsibility, specifically to support initiatives that resonates with GCR personnel and can provide GCR the opportunity to actively participate in the initiative.
To demonstrate its commitment to being a caring company through the support of and effective involvement in relevant and sustainable community activities and partnerships, and in so doing providing the opportunity for its employees grow and effect meaningful change for relevant segments of the population.
What we have achieved
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead” – Nelson Mandela
As a celebration of Madiba’s life, UN declared 18 July Nelson Mandela International Day. In this respect, it is in our hands to make a positive difference and build on the legacy that Mandela built through serving our fellow humans. To achieve this, GCR took the challenge to join the sustainable annual global movement that honours Madiba through making the world a better place by selflessly giving 67 minutes for the month of July. Our achievements for 2018, included the following initiatives:
1. A Community outreach collection for a settlement in Kromdraai. There are many kids and families in need especially for school shoes, blankets, winter clothes and food. GCR ran a box collection programme for staff to contribute what they could, from food to clothes, toys to blankets. GCR rose to the challenge, and was able to provide a community settlement in Kromdraai some helpful supplies.
2. We partnered with CEEP (http://ceepza.wixsite.com/ceep ) to repaint the immunisation area of the Alexandra Clinic. In addition, GCR painted educational murals to inform mothers when to vaccinate.
As a celebration of Madiba’s life, UN declared 18 July Nelson Mandela International Day. In this respect, it is in our hands to make a positive difference and build on the legacy that Mandela built through serving our fellow humans. To achieve this, GCR took the challenge to join the sustainable annual global movement that honours Madiba through making the world a better place by selflessly giving 67 minutes on the 18th July 2016. Our goal was to pack, distribute and serve-up as many lunch parcels to children from employee selected charity organisations in the greater Sandton area in 7 minutes. So how did we do?
- We made and packed 159 lunch packs, containing sandwiches, fruits, juices and treats.
- We managed to deliver to three children’s charity organisations that resonate with our employees.
- We managed to hand over 159 lunch packs and spend time with the organisation and the children whose lives they impact positively every day.
- For 67 minutes, GCR’s sole focus was to selflessly be involved in making a difference, no matter how small.